Mammoth Creek rises in northern Lipscomb County (at 36°27' N, 100°12' W) and flows southeast for fifteen miles to its mouth on Wolf Creek, just across the state line in Ellis County, Oklahoma (at 36°16' N, 99°59' W). The creek was spring fed and flowed constantly until 1952. It was named by J. C. Studer in the late 1880s after fossilized mammoth bones were discovered on its banks. A rural post office, known first as Mammoth and then as Shadeland, was located near the stream south of Follett and remained in operation until 1916. The creek begins in flat to rolling terrain with local escarpments, where hardwood forest, brush, and grasses grow in fine sandy loam, and moves into a flat to rolling, locally active dune area characterized by sand and bunch grasses.