Manestee, TX


By: Betty Jane Smith

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995


In 1888 W. B. Cain, a rancher, applied for a post office for the town of Edge Hill, in north central Tom Green County near the Coke county line. The petition stated that the post office would serve about 100 people. The name Manestee was finally chosen for the town. The post office was built on John R. Cawley's land, and Cain was appointed postmaster and served till 1893. The town had a school and was on a cattle trail and stage line. The post office was discontinued in 1898 and the mail sent to Robert Lee. The post office building was a small wooden structure which in later years was used as a henhouse. In 1988 only a stone chimney and a small cemetery remained.

San Angelo Standard Times, December 3, 1967.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Betty Jane Smith, “Manestee, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 05, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/manestee-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Place
Manestee
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Tom Green County
Associated Names

Edge Hill

Watters