Mann's Crossing, TX

By: Art Martínez de Vara

Type: General Entry

Published: May 5, 2010

Mann’s Crossing is at the intersection of Old Pearsall Road and the Medina River in southwest Bexar County. It is named after the Mann family who immigrated to Texas from Alsace-Lorraine as part of the original Henri Castro Colony (see CASTRO’S COLONY) on the upper Medina River. The Mann family operated a ferry at Mann’s Crossing as late as the 1880s. Mann’s Crossing is part of the land granted to Sam McCulloch, Jr., a free black soldier in the Texas Revolution who settled in the area in 1852. In 1857 the Medina Baptist Church was organized at Mann's Crossing. Members of this church eventually left and founded Somerset, Texas. Sam McCulloch donated land to the church to use as a cemetery, which is now known as the Sam McCulloch Cemetery.

In 1875 Anton and Johanna Krause sold their San Antonio store and saloon and moved with their six children to southwestern Bexar County at Mann's Crossing. The family purchased 101 acres of the old McCulloch grant and built a small log cabin. Anton Krause served as postmaster of Mann's Crossing, using his house as the post office, from January 1879 to November 1880. Krause and his sons also were active in law enforcement, and the house was used by Texas Rangers and federal agents to hold prisoners at various times.

When the International-Great Northern Railroad constructed the first rail line connecting San Antonio and Laredo in 1881, the rail bridge across the Medina was built one mile east of the ferry at Mann’s Crossing. Quickly a new community sprang up around the train depot that was built on the south bank of the Medina and called “Medina Crossing” by the IGNR. Branson Bywater re-established the Mann’s Crossing post office in September 1886, and he served as postmaster until December of that year, when the post office was moved to Medina Crossing and was re-named Von Ormy.

In 1952 the Southwest Independent School District was organized and established a large campus at Mann’s Crossing, where it was home to Southwest High School, McNair Middle School and Southwest Elementary in the 2000s. In 2008 parts of Mann’s Crossing were incorporated into the new City of Von Ormy.

Atascosa County History (Pleasanton, Texas: Atascosa History Committee, 1984). Margaret G. Clover, The Place Names of Atascosa County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952). Historical marker files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin. The Afro-American Texans (San Antonio: University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, 1975). Biographies of Texas Veterans (MS, William Physick Zuber Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Art Martínez de Vara, “Mann's Crossing, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

May 5, 2010

Mann's Crossing
Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bexar County
Associated Names

Von Ormy

  • Latitude: 29.30586400°
  • Longitude: -98.66163600°