Marcy, TX

By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995

Marcy was north of Farm Road 617 three miles west of present Rochester in northwestern Haskell County. In 1887 Zed Marcy and his family came into the region and settled in what became known as Old Marcy. A school was established in the late 1880s and was known as Marcy. A post office was established on August 29, 1900, in the store of Calvin A. Clemmer, the first postmaster. During the early 1900s the town grew to include two stores, two churches, and a gin. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway missed Marcy in 1906, and the town moved to Rochester. The post office reflected that change on April 26 of that year. Although sources are unclear, Old Marcy may have been named after Capt. Randolph Barnes Marcy, who led an army expedition into the region in 1849.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Rex A. Felker, Haskell: Haskell County and Its Pioneers (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975).
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Marcy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Haskell County
  • Latitude: 33.31438900°
  • Longitude: -99.92181400°