Markout, TX


By: Randolph B. "Mike" Campbell

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Markout is on Farm Road 740 fourteen miles northwest of Kaufman in northwestern Kaufman County. A school, known as the East Fork Academy, existed on this site in 1884. The school was consolidated with the Forney Independent School District in 1947, but a church, known as the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, continued to meet in the school building. The name of the church was later changed to Markout Baptist Church, but about 1980 the name was changed back to Pleasant Grove Baptist. From the mid-1960s to 2000 the community had an estimated population of eighty.

Kaufman County Historical Commission, History of Kaufman County (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Randolph B. "Mike" Campbell, “Markout, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/markout-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Markout
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378643
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Kaufman County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.70679720°
  • Longitude: -96.49248750°