The Marshall and North Western Railway Company was chartered on March 29, 1882, to connect Marshall with Mount Pleasant. The capital was $600,000, and the office was at Marshall. Members of the first board of directors were William W. Heartsill, Obediah Hendrick, S. W. Lloyd, Joseph P. Alford, Thomas J. Whaley, Paul E. Coleman, Richard S. Kelly, R. S. Jennings, and Joseph Lake, all of Marshall. The company then went through a series of name changes. On January 8, 1883, it became the Marshall, Jefferson and North Western Railway Company, and the route was changed to run from Marshall to Pittsburg with a branch to Jefferson and the state line as well as a line southeasterly from Marshall through Harrison and Panola counties to the state line. Within a few months the charter was again amended, and on June 28, 1883, the railroad was renamed the Marshall and Northwestern Railway Company. At that time the line to Jefferson was dropped, but a new branch was projected to Nacogdoches. Despite all the activity, the company had still to construct any track. Two years later, on November 18, 1885, the company was renamed the Marshall, Paris and Northwestern Railway Company. The route was again changed and was now projected to run from Paris through Marshall to Carthage. Finally, on December 15, 1885, construction began at Marshall, and the company placed fifteen miles to Montvale Springs in service. A new name was adopted on May 7, 1888, when the railroad became the Paris, Marshall and Sabine Pass Railway Company. The route was now to run from the Red River through Paris and Marshall to the Texas border with a second line running from Marshall to Sabine Pass for a total of 400 miles. By this time the office had been moved to Paris, and the capital was $1,400,000. The company entered receivership in 1891 and was sold in 1892. In 1897 it became the Texas Southern Railway Company.