Marshall Masonic Female Institute, in Marshall, originated as the female department of Marshall University, which was chartered by the Republic of Texas on January 18, 1842. In 1850 Marshall Masonic Lodge No. 22 chartered the female institute as a separate school, which by 1853 had fifty-three students and a faculty of five. During its years of operation the institute had five presidents, among whom the longest serving were Thomas B. Wilson (1850–58) and Charles B. Stuart (1874–86). In 1886 the school was absorbed by the Marshall public school system. A state historical marker was placed at the site in 1969.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “Marshall Masonic Female Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 28, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/marshall-masonic-female-institute.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.