The Marshall Texas Republican, established on March 30, 1849, by Trenton A. and Frank J. Patillo, was one of the state's most articulate voices for states' rights and secession. Robert W. Loughery, a Calhoun Democrat, became associate editor in July 1849, editor in November 1849, and owner of the weekly publication in 1851, when he gave his note for $1,251.92, payable in two annual installments. During his ownership Loughery earned a reputation as one of the state's most outspoken newspapermen, and his editorials were frequently reprinted around Texas. Under his editorship the Republican opposed the Compromise of 1850 and the rise of the American (Know-Nothing) party in the mid-1850s. In the months before the war, it spoke forthrightly for withdrawal from the Union, and it was among the staunchest supporters of the Confederacy during the war years, when it insisted until the end that Texas could and should become a redoubt for the Confederacy's remnants. However, once the war ended, the paper came out vigorously for conciliation and compliance with the requirements of surrender. Because of paper shortages and labor scarcity, the Republican reduced its page size; it suspended publication with its issue of July 25, 1863, but resumed with two five-column pages on September 24, 1864. It then continued publication uninterruptedly until a fire destroyed the paper's offices at Marshall in 1869, when the press and type were moved to the Daily Times offices in Jefferson. (Probably in 1867, Loughery had associated himself with A. D. McCutchan, publisher of the Daily Times, from whom he bought the paper.) From conciliation during Presidential Reconstruction, the Republican turned bitterly against Congressional Reconstruction, particularly in connection with the so-called Stockade Case in Jefferson. The paper ceased publication in 1872.