The Marshall, Timpson and Sabine Pass Railway Company was chartered on August 6, 1896. The railroad was planned to connect Timpson in Shelby County with Carthage in Panola County. The capital stock was $20,000, and the principal place of business was Timpson. The members of the first board of directors were L. F. Limbert of Greenville, Ohio; T. L. Garrison, B. F. Hurkster, C. E. Sanford, W. T. Avery, and Sol Burkett, all of Timpson; Roy Russell of Kokomo, Indiana; and J. T. Garrison of Nacogdoches. In 1898 the railroad completed twenty miles of track between Timpson and Carthage. On December 27, 1904, the company was purchased by the Texas and Gulf Railway Company.