Martinez is at the junction of Farm roads 1346 and 1516, ten miles east of downtown San Antonio in east central Bexar County. The town became a station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in 1877. It had a reported population of fifty in 1910, when W. C. Schlather operated a store there. Three businesses and a population of fifty were reported in 1940. Since that time the population has grown slowly, and in 1990 Martinez had seventy-five residents. Though the community was still shown on the Bexar County highway map in 2000, no population estimates were available.