Mary, TX


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Mary was five miles northeast of Alice in east central Jim Wells County. It was named for Mary Dunn, the wife of a local rancher. At its height the community had a grocery store and was a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. By 1936 all that remained of the community was the railroad stop, and by 1963 it was no longer shown on maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “Mary, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mary-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Mary
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jim Wells County