May, TX


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


May, at the intersection of U.S. Highway 183 and Farm Road 1689, in northeastern Brown County, was named for pioneer settler W. D. May. Since the local land was sandy, settlers were slow to move there. Nathan L. May started a store at the site in 1879, and in 1881 a post office was established with May as postmaster. The nearest school was at Verbena, 1½ miles away. May was a station on the Brownwood North and South Railway from 1907 to 1927, when the line was abandoned. In 1940 May had several churches and schools, fourteen businesses, and 500 residents. By 1980 its population had declined to 285, though the post office was still open; the population was the same the same through 2000.

Thomas Robert Havins, Something about Brown: A History of Brown County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1958).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “May, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/may-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
May
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1341103
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brown County
Associated Names

-sville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.97958990°
  • Longitude: -98.92005550°
Population Counts
People Year
270 2009