William Harding Mayes, attorney, newspaper editor, and teacher, son of Robert Chappell and Fredonia Charlotte (Stephens) Mayes, was born in Mayfield, Kentucky, on May 20, 1861. He attended Paducah District Methodist College at Milburn, Kentucky, Norton's English and Classical School at Union City, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt University. In 1881 he was admitted to the Kentucky bar and in 1882 to the Texas bar. He practiced in Mayfield, Kentucky, in 1881 and in Brownwood, Texas, from 1882 to 1886. He was county attorney of Brown County from 1882 to 1883, editor and publisher of the Brownwood Bulletin from 1887 to 1914, and lieutenant governor of Texas in 1913–14. Daniel Baker College gave him an honorary doctorate in 1914. Mayes founded the school of journalism at the University of Texas and served as its dean for twelve years. In 1920–21 he was president of the Association of American Schools and Departments of Journalism.
He married Jessie Ware on November 26, 1886; they had four children. After his wife's death in 1899, Mayes married Anna Marshall on August 2, 1900; they were the parents of three children. Mayes was executive vice president of the Texas Centennial Committee. He died at his home in Austin on June 26, 1939, and was buried in Greenleaf Cemetery, Brownwood.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Austin American, June 27, 1939. Kenneth B. Ragsdale, The Year America Discovered Texas-Centennial '36 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1987). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Who Was Who in America, Vol. 2.
University Presidents and School Administrators
Editors and Reporters
Law, Law Enforcement, and Outlaws
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“Mayes, William Harding,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed July 06, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
Most Recent Revision Date:
April 1, 1995