McAdams, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 28, 2020


McAdams was on the path of present Farm Road 1696 fourteen miles northwest of Huntsville in eastern Walker County. It was probably named for John McAdams, Jr., an early settler in the area, who served as a member of the St. Augustine Volunteers under Captain Bradley in the Texas revolutionary army. The McAdams home became the center of a rural community, and the village soon supported a church and school. Sam Houston is reported to have been a frequent visitor in the McAdams home. A McAdams post office opened in 1888 with Mary Frances McAdams, second wife of John McAdams, Jr., as postmistress. The Texas Gazetteer estimated the 1896 population of McAdams to be near fifteen; in 1914 the community had a population of sixty, two cotton gins, and three general stores. The post office closed in 1917. In 1936 a schoolhouse, a church, and a cemetery remained. County maps of 1990 indicate only a cemetery at the site.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “McAdams, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mcadams-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 28, 2020

Place
McAdams
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1374828
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

-Store

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.76713760°
  • Longitude: -95.77272600°