McCoy is in east central Atascosa County on Farm Road 541 and the Missouri Pacific line, eight miles north of Campbellton and eighteen miles southeast of Pleasanton. It was named for W. A. McCoy, a prominent area rancher, and was built on land donated by him in 1913, when the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad needed a right-of-way. In 1914 a post office was established in the McCoy store; at that time the town reported a population of seventy. By 1920 the McCoy community had a two-room school, which grew to four rooms, five teachers, and 173 students by 1935. The town had one business in 1933. Its school closed in 1950, and area students were transferred to Leal. In 1952 McCoy consisted of an empty school building, a railroad station, a general store, and a few dwellings. The town had three businesses in 1970. A few scattered peanut farms marked McCoy on a 1987 map. The population of the town was reported at twenty-five from 1945 through the early 1990s; by 1992 there were ten businesses reported. The population was thirty in 2000.