McCoy, TX (Floyd County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 31, 2020


McCoy, formerly known as McCoy School, is just west of the junction of Farm roads 54 and 3111, twelve miles southwest of Floydada in southwestern Floyd County. It developed around a school district that was established in 1908 and named for resident A. J. McCoy. By 1925 the school had 100 students, and a brick schoolhouse had been built, which served the area until the school was consolidated with the Floydada school about 1946. During the 1920s the town grew to include a grocery, a general store, and a gin, as well as Methodist and Baptist churches. McCoy in 1936 had a church, a school, and two businesses. In 1979 a grocery, a gin (begun in 1925), a farm supply store, and a grain elevator were active; by 1986 the grocery had closed. In 1980 McCoy had a population of ninety-six; in 1990 no population figures were available for the community. In 2000 the population was two.

Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “McCoy, TX (Floyd County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mccoy-tx-floyd-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 31, 2020

Place
McCoy
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1362393
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Floyd County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.86813660°
  • Longitude: -101.43766000°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009