McCulloch, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: February 1, 1995

Updated: July 31, 2020


McCulloch was on the Red River sixteen miles from Clarksville in northern Red River County. The community was first named Walnut Grove when the post office opened in 1878. When the post office was moved to the general store of J. W. McCulloch in 1891, the name of the settlement was changed to McCulloch. In 1896, although the reported population of McCulloch was only twenty-five, the community had two churches, a district school, a Mason, a doctor, a dentist, and a lawyer. Businesses in the vicinity included two shingle mills, two gristmills, two cotton gins, and two general stores. The post office was closed in 1914, and by 1936 McCulloch no longer existed as a named community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “McCulloch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mcculloch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

February 1, 1995
July 31, 2020

Place
McCulloch
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Associated Names

Rogers Ferry

Walnut Grove