McCurley, TX

By: Randolph B. "Mike" Campbell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 23, 2020


McCurley was two miles southeast of the town of Lake Dallas in Denton County. It was named for the McCurley brothers, who settled there in the 1850s. A school district probably existed as early as the 1880s. In 1936 McCurley had a rural school and a separate school for Blacks. The community was submerged by the waters of Lewisville Lake in the 1950s. In 1984 a Texas Historical Commission marker for the McCurley Cemetery was placed in nearby Lewisville.

Mary Jo Cowling, Geography of Denton County (Dallas: Banks, Upshaw, 1936). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.

Places:

  • Communities
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Randolph B. "Mike" Campbell, “McCurley, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mccurley-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 23, 2020

Loading