McGirk, TX


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 31, 2020


McGirk, in western Hamilton County, is a ghost town now. It was established in the early 1870s. A post office opened in 1882 with John A. McGirk as postmaster. A steam cotton gin operated on the Lampasas River for some years after 1892. The post office closed in 1920, but the local school district survived until around 1936. In 1945 the community reported an estimated population of twenty-five. By 2000 the population was listed as nine.

Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “McGirk, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mcgirk-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 31, 2020

Place
McGirk
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034980
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hamilton County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.51793760°
  • Longitude: -98.33142690°
Population Counts
People Year
18 2009