McKenzie, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: July 31, 2020


McKenzie was on what is now State Highway 208 in extreme southeast Mitchell County, three miles north of the Coke county line. The settlement was named for F. S. McKenzie, who donated land for a school in 1908, and was largely abandoned after the school was consolidated with that of Colorado City about 1934. By 1966 only a cemetery remained at the location.

Mattie C. Hines, "The History of Mitchell County Education," in Lore and Legend: A Compilation of Documents Depicting the History of Colorado City and Mitchell County, Vol. 1., ed. Mac B. McKinnon (Colorado City, Texas: Colorado City Record, 1976).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “McKenzie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mckenzie-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
July 31, 2020

Place
McKenzie
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1341231
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Mitchell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.11568620°
  • Longitude: -100.71871810°