McLeod, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 31, 2020


McLeod is in the Rodessa oilfield on Farm Road 125 thirteen miles southeast of Atlanta in southeastern Cass County. It was a sparsely settled farming community referred to locally as Good Exchange until the mid-1930s, when the area was developed into the oilfield. A post office was established in May 1937, and by 1939 McLeod had a consolidated school, nine businesses, and two churches. In 1945 the community had a population of 150. The population began to decline in the early 1960s and had fallen to fifty by 1970, when the town had three rated businesses. From 1974 through 1990 it was reported as fifty, and in 1986 the town had one rated business. The population grew to 230 in 2000.

Atlanta (Texas) Citizens Journal, 60th Anniversary Edition, 1939.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “McLeod, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mcleod-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 31, 2020

Place
McLeod
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1341257
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

Good Exchange

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.94458030°
  • Longitude: -94.08018320°
Population Counts
People Year
600 2009