McMillin, TX

By: Karen Yancy

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 31, 2020


McMillin (previously McMillan, McMillen, McMillian) is a mile east of State Highway 16 near the Colorado River and nine miles northeast of San Saba in northeastern San Saba County. It was named in honor of Capt. Newton D. McMillin, commander of a Texas Ranger company in the area during the late 1850s. The first community school, Flat Rock, was built in 1882, and a new school was constructed on Hugh Miller's property in 1899. A petition for a post office was circulated by E. B. House on October 6, 1904, but the office was established at Bomar. Also in 1904, G. B. Meeks sold his store to Hugh Miller. The McMillin school was built about 1923 and was consolidated with the San Saba school district in 1933. In 1979 only the McMillin cemetery marked the former townsite. By 2000 the population was fifteen.

Alma Ward Hamrick, The Call of the San Saba: A History of San Saba County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1941; 2d ed., Austin: Jenkins, 1969). San Saba County History (San Saba, Texas: San Saba County Historical Commission, 1983).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Karen Yancy, “McMillin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mcmillin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 31, 2020

Loading