McQueeney is on Farm Road 78 four miles west of Seguin in west central Guadalupe County. German settlers moved to the area around 1870. When the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was built through the area in 1876, the stop was named Hilda. In 1900 C. F. Blumberg built a store a mile east of the rail stop. Hoping to persuade the railroad to move the stop from Hilda to his store, he called the site McQueeney, in honor of the superintendent of the Southern Pacific line. The post office which opened in 1900 was called McQueeney, but the railroad did not move the stop from Hilda to the store site. In 1914 McQueeney had two general stores and forty residents. Lake McQueeney, also called Lake Abbott, was built a mile northeast of the community in 1925 by means of a dam across the Guadalupe River. It became a popular area for recreation and for summer homes. McQueeney had 300 residents and nine businesses by the 1940s; a population of 640 was served by twenty-three businesses in 1988. In 1990 the population was 2,063. The population grew to 2,527 in 2000.