Meacham Field is in northwest Fort Worth, just south of Interstate Highway 820 and a mile east of Marine Creek Lake. It was established in 1914 to serve the United States Army Airways. The site was leased to the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce, which subleased it to the federal government. Meacham was originally called Fort Worth Airport. In 1926 the city of Fort Worth took over the lease and made the field into a municipal airport. In 1927 the name was changed to Meacham Field, in honor of former mayor Henry C. Meacham. Charles Lindbergh landed there that year, and the field was the center for most of the air-mail lines in Texas. By 1929 two hangars had been built, and a terminal building was completed in 1937. By the early 1950s Meacham Field was served by American, Braniff, and Delta air lines and encompassed an area of about 350 acres. However, with the opening of the Greater Fort Worth International Airport (later named Greater Southwest International Airport) in 1953, the airlines moved out of Meacham. In the early 1990s Meacham Field was being operated as a small private and civil airport.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Ruby Schmidt, ed., Fort Worth and Tarrant County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1984).
- Dallas/Fort Worth Region
- Fort Worth
- North Texas
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Art Leatherwood, “Meacham Field,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/meacham-field.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.