Mechanicsville, TX


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Mechanicsville was a small lumber town in extreme western Smith County on a dirt road 1½ miles west of Mount Sylvan. The settlement was established in 1862 by Francis Lang. Early in the 1870s a furniture factory was constructed in the area; Lang was manager. The factory may have employed as many as twenty workers, making chairs and other wooden furnishings. In 1871 there was a sawmill in the area, and the next year the community was organized. It included the factory and mill, as well as some twelve houses. The Mechanicsville Road, a local trade and travel route, extended from Tyler to Garden Valley and had a southern branch that reached the small community. Mechanicsville disappeared from county records after only a short while. According to area residents, a forest fire destroyed the town and the local economy. The 1936 county highway map showed only an unidentified cemetery and a few scattered dwellings at the site. In 1965 two houses and the Robbs (formerly Mechanicsville) Cemetery were in the vicinity. A 1973 map showed four dwellings and the cemetery just east of the Boynton oilfield. The cemetery was still shown on a 1981 map.

Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Mechanicsville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mechanicsville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Place
Mechanicsville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Smith County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.44448400°
  • Longitude: -95.50356100°