Mendoza, TX


By: Scott E. Wagner

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Mendoza is on U.S. Highway 183 ten miles north of Lockhart in north central Caldwell County. It was named for an early settler in the area. A post office operated there from 1892 to 1911. In 1905 the community had a school with one teacher and forty-seven students, and in the first quarter of the twentieth century Mendoza reported a population of 200. The 1936 county highway map showed a school, a church, a cemetery, an industrial site, several other businesses, and numerous residences at the townsite. During the Great Depression the population of Mendoza fell to 100, where it remained until the mid-1960s, when it dropped to fifty. In 1987 one business was reported there. The population of the community was still estimated as fifty in 1990. In 2000 the population was 100.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Scott E. Wagner, “Mendoza, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mendoza-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Mendoza
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378663
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Associated Names

Booton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.00494000°
  • Longitude: -97.68611170°
Population Counts
People Year
100 2014