Mercy, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Mercy is between Farm roads 1725 and 945 fifty-five miles north of Houston in south central San Jacinto County. The locale was at one time connected by tram railroad to Fostoria, where large quantities of San Jacinto County timber were processed into lumber. The Mercy post office operated from 1915 to 1918. The Mercy oilfield, first discovered in 1942, has yielded more than 13 million barrels of crude oil, and significant new discoveries were made in 1947, 1979, 1980, and 1981. Scattered buildings mark the site, and limited development of the area was undertaken during the 1960s and early 1970s.

Railroad Commission of Texas, Annual Report of the Oil and Gas Division (Austin, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Mercy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mercy-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Mercy
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Dixie