Merrilltown was two miles south of McNeil in northern Travis County. It was named for Capt. Nelson Merrill, who settled there in 1837 and later operated a store and post office. The post office was established in 1851. By the mid-1880s the community had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, a general store, a church, and a district school to serve its population of thirty-five. The number of residents had increased to 100 by the mid-1890s. The Merrilltown post office was discontinued in 1902, and mail for the community was sent to Round Rock in Williamson County. Merrilltown was the focus of a common-school district until 1949, when part of its territory was consolidated with the Round Rock Independent School District and the remainder was consolidated with the Pflugerville schools. A few scattered houses marked the area on county highway maps in the late 1940s. The area has since been annexed by the city of Austin.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Merrilltown, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 01, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/merrilltown-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.