Charles B. Metcalfe, ranchman and state legislator, was born in Lawrence County, Tennessee, on May 18, 1856, the son of James and Mary Jane (Taylor) Metcalfe. He attended college in Nashville, Tennessee, before November 1873, when he rode to Texas in charge of a drove of Morgan mules bound for Fort Worth for Khleber M. Van Zandt. He began work near Fort Concho for his uncle, Francis C. Taylor, the manager and part owner of the San Antonio-El Paso Mail. Metcalfe was made road agent of the line and worked up and down a 700-mile route through the frontier. His disabilities as a minor were removed by court decree so that at the age of eighteen he might be elected county commissioner of Tom Green County, a post he held for six years. After the Texas and Pacific Railway crossed the area in the 1880s, Metcalfe went into the sheep business, but subsequently abandoned it for farming and ranching. In 1883 he leased and fenced 18,000 acres of Washington County school land and in 1884 fenced 20,000 acres of XQZ pasture. He had some brief difficulties with fence-cutters. He bred and improved horses, sheep, and mules and was reputed to have grown the first cotton crop and built the first gin in the San Angelo territory. He was president of the Concho Water Company when the first dam was built across the Concho River. Metcalfe was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1914 to 1918. In the legislature he worked particularly for the tick and scab eradication law and for woman suffrage. His first wife, formerly Lillie Baker of Austin, lived but two years after their marriage. On February 7, 1892, he married Margie Moyers of Atlanta, Georgia. She and their son, Penrose, survived when Metcalfe died at San Angelo on December 11, 1941.