Midway, TX (Bell County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Midway is on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line midway between Belton and Temple in central Bell County. The site was settled in the mid-1800s and in the 1850s had a combination church and school built of rock on land donated by the Embree family. The Rock Church School had sixty-eight pupils and one teacher in 1903. Though the railroad reached Midway in the 1880s, it remained a small community. Midway had two businesses and forty inhabitants in 1940, and in 1947 it had a store and a gas station. By 1964 the community population was 100, and by 1974, 122. By 1988 Midway was part of a metropolitan "corridor" of communities reaching from Belton to Temple and was no longer listed separately on the county highway maps. The population remained at 122 through 2000.

George Tyler, History of Bell County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Midway, TX (Bell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/midway-tx-bell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Midway
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1384170
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.07879040°
  • Longitude: -97.41111780°