Midway, TX (Hemphill County)

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Midway was in western Hemphill County and so named because it was halfway between Canadian and Mobeetie. It was founded by the pioneer rancher and merchant J. F. Johnson and was more of a trading center than a village. The dominant structure was Johnson's general store, which he later moved to Canadian. When he moved, the town died.

Sallie B. Harris, Cowmen and Ladies: A History of Hemphill County (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1977). F. Stanley, Rodeo Town (Canadian, Texas) (Denver: World, 1953).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Midway, TX (Hemphill County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/midway-tx-hemphill-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Loading