Midway, TX (Titus County)

By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: December 2, 2004


Midway is small rural community located off Farm Road 1402 about eight miles north of Mount Pleasant in north central Titus County. Midway was in existence by the early 1930s when it had a school and its own county school district. Apparently the community received its name because the site of the school was midway between the rural schools of Gladewater and Mt. Sylvia, which were consolidated. In 1932 Midway School consisted of ten grades and seven teachers. Highway maps during the 1930s showed numerous farms, a business, and a seasonal industry in the area. No population figures were available for Midway until 2000 when the community reported 110 residents.

Morris Blackard, The History of Titus County, Texas, 1929–1964 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Midway, TX (Titus County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 23, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/midway-tx-titus-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 2, 2004

Loading