Midway, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Midway, on U.S. Highway 271 five miles north of Gilmer in northern Upshur County, was established as a stop on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway in the 1880s. In the mid-1930s the community, which served as a center for a lumbering and agricultural area, consisted of a sawmill, a store, and a number of scattered houses. The population in 1940 was forty. After World War II the number of residents grew slightly, reaching sixty by 1952, but in the mid-1960s all that remained of the settlement was a church and a few scattered houses. In 1990 Midway was a dispersed rural community with a church and one store. In 2000 the population was twenty.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Midway, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/midway-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Loading