Miguel, TX


By: Ruben E. Ochoa

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995

Updated: December 2, 2020


Miguel (sometimes spelled Miguiel) is a farming and stock-raising community two miles northeast of the intersection of Farm roads 472 and 140 in far east central Frio County. A post office operated in the community from 1880 through 1924, though the office appears to have closed for a time around 1890. By 1884 Miguel had an estimated population of fifty. In 1906 it had two schools, with a total of two teachers and eighty-three students. The community of fifty had telephone service, three general stores, and a cotton gin by 1914. In 1929 it consisted of a church and a school surrounded by several dwellings. Miguel had a cemetery and two schools in 1948; one school was for non-White students. In 1989 the community still had a school and a cemetery.

Mrs. W. A. Roberts, "Frio County Has a Colorful History," Frontier Times, June 1936.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ruben E. Ochoa, “Miguel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/miguel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995
December 2, 2020

Place
Miguel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380196
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Frio County
Associated Names

Miguiel

Howard Lake

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.92358310°
  • Longitude: -98.82058170°