Millett, on Interstate Highway 35 seventy-five miles south of San Antonio in northern La Salle County, was established in 1881 as a depot and section house on the International-Great Northern Railroad. Known originally as Cibolo Station and later as Millett Station, it received the postal designation of Millett in 1888 in honor of Alonzo Millett (1842–1907), pioneer landowner and first postmaster. The townsite was first surveyed in 1896, and settlement was encouraged by the discovery in 1902 of abundant water for irrigation. The census district containing Millett reported a population of 500 in 1910. A disastrous fire during November 1913 destroyed a large part of the business section. In 1941 eight businesses and a population of 300 were reported. The drought of the 1950s initiated a period of rapid decline, and by 1960 the last business closed and fewer than thirty persons lived on the site. The school, which opened in 1898 and had a peak enrollment in 1919 of 305 students, was closed in 1955. The post office was closed in 1958. In 2000 the population was forty.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Stanley D. Casto, “Millett, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 29, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/millett-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.