Milvid, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 1, 1995


Milvid was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway northwest of the junction of Farm Road 787 and State Highway 146 sixty miles northwest of Beaumont in northeastern Liberty County. The town's name was derived from the Miller-Vidor Lumber Company, which operated a sawmill there. Milvid was established as a lumber shipping station of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe line. The post office was organized in 1907. With a school, a commissary, a hotel, and assorted company offices and structures, Milvid grew to a population of 350 by the early 1920s. The depletion of the lumber supply in northern Liberty and southern San Jacinto counties led to Milvid's rapid decline. The post office was discontinued in 1925, and by the early 1940s the population had fallen to forty-one. A few foundations, broken tools, and rusted implements marked the site in 1986.

Barbara Hegwood Smith, "Liberty County Ghost Towns: Milvid," Cleveland Area Pioneer, September 1978.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Milvid, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/milvid-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 1, 1995

Place
Milvid
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380200
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.45853970°
  • Longitude: -94.79659480°