Mineral Springs, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Mineral Springs, a ghost town in the piney woods of northwestern Panola County, was named for a local spring, which early residents thought had medicinal waters. African-Americans built a church at the site in the 1870s. When the Texas, Sabine Valley, and Northwestern Railway was built through the area in 1888, a flag stop was designated, and some lumber was shipped. The stop was discontinued before 1910. By 1948 the church had collapsed, and woods had covered the clearings.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Mineral Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mineral-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading