Mission Hill, TX


By: Oscar Haas

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Mission Hill, a Comal County community on the northwest outskirts of New Braunfels, was named for Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Mission, established on the Guadalupe River in 1755 for scattered groups of Tawakoni, Yojuane, Mayeye, Ervipiame, and other Indians. German settlers from New Braunfels spread into nearby Mission Valley in 1846. A public free school was established in 1870, and for a time a Catholic chapel was maintained. Potassium nitrate for the manufacture of gunpowder for the Confederate Army was extracted from bat guano taken from the Brehmer Cave in the valley.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Oscar Haas, “Mission Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mission-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Mission Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comal County