Moccasin, TX


By: Zelma Scott

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Moccasin, in northwestern Coryell County, was named for Moccasin Bend in the Leon River, where T. D. Hendrickson killed several moccasin snakes. Hendrickson gave the right-of-way for the flag station to be established on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway in 1911. In 1941 the railroad was abandoned, and the station became only a place name.

Zelma Scott, History of Coryell County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1965).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Zelma Scott, “Moccasin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/moccasin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Moccasin
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County