Monadale, TX

By: Clara Stearns Scarbrough

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Monadale is on Mustang Creek and Farm Road 1660, thirty miles northeast of Austin in Williamson County. It was once called Springtown or Stringtown but was renamed for Mona House, daughter of Edward Mandell House, friend and advisor of President Woodrow Wilson. Colonel House owned a large farm at Monadale, inherited from his grandfather, and visited it occasionally. A gin was built at the community in 1899, and some French immigrants lived there. House offered ten acres for a school, but the community wanted the school building elsewhere. The school became part of the Hutto system in 1949. In the early 1980s only farmhouses and a scattered population remained.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, “Monadale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 08, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/monadale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading