Monaville, TX


By: William Reed

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Monaville is on Farm Road 359 near Harris Creek in central Waller County. Daniel C. Singletary opened the area's first post office and grocery store in 1886 and named the community in honor of his daughter Mona. Although the office discontinued postal service to the surrounding agricultural community in 1913, the community still had a school and a cotton gin. In 1941 Monaville reported a population of seventy-five. In 1987 Monaville remained an agricultural and livestock-raising community with one business. The community reported a population of 180 in 1990 and 2000.

Mildred W. Abshier, et al., Former Post Offices of Waller County (Hempstead, Texas: Waller County Historical Society, 1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William Reed, “Monaville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/monaville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Monaville
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1363046
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Waller County
Associated Names

Liendo

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.95078010°
  • Longitude: -96.03884670°
Population Counts
People Year
180 2009