Monington, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Monington was near the Trinity River in the vicinity of present day Tucker in southwestern Anderson County. The community had a post office from 1918 to 1923 and appears to have been named for the Monnig family, who owned an extensive cotton plantation called Long Lake in the area. Monington was not listed on state highway maps of the 1930s.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Monington, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/monington-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Place
Monington
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Associated Names

Long Lake