Monroe City, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: February 9, 2019


Monroe City is at the junction of Farm Road 1724 and State Highway 124, thirty-nine miles southwest of Beaumont in central Chambers County. The town, named for Monroe White, a prominent local citizen, was established in the wake of the discovery of the Anahuac oilfield in 1935. Companies with major interests in the Anahuac field included the Humble Oil and Refining Company (later Exxon Company, U.S.A.), followed by Sun Oil and Gulf Oil. By the end of 1935, H. S. Sterling had established a store at the oilfield camp, and the next year the Monroe City post office was opened. Some sources place the community population at 300 by 1939. By 1940 Monroe City had a lumberyard, several stores, housing for oilfield workers, and a Brown and Root company camp. As the boom subsided, the population declined to 120 during the late 1940s and to ninety by 1970. It was still reported at ninety through 2000. A plaque from the Texas State Historical Survey Committee (later the Texas Historical Commission) marks the field, which had produced well over 270 million barrels of crude oil by 1985.

Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Monroe City, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/monroe-city-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
February 9, 2019

Place
Monroe City
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1341804
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Chambers County
Associated Names

White City

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.78494420°
  • Longitude: -94.58519360°
Population Counts
People Year
5 2014