Mont, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Mont is on Farm Road 318 seven miles southwest of Hallettsville in southwestern Lavaca County. The area was settled in the 1830s, and in 1846 settlers built the Rocky Creek Baptist Church, which was also used as a school. Bohemian settlers arrived in the area in the 1850s. In 1887 the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway built through the community, and George Wilcox built a store and gin there. In 1894 the community was granted a post office under the name Monserate; this office closed in 1905. A new school was constructed in 1908 and was called the Mont school. That seems to have been the name of the community as well from that point on. Mont had two businesses and an estimated population of twenty in 1940. Railroad service to Mont was discontinued by 1961, and the school was closed by the 1960s. In 1981 Mont had a number of scattered dwellings. Its population was estimated at thirty in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.

T. H. Leslie, The History of Lavaca County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1935).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Mont, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/mont-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Place
Mont
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034896
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lavaca County
Associated Names

Monserate

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.38218820°
  • Longitude: -97.00526140°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009