Montfort, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: March 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Montfort (Montford), on Farm Road 636 eleven miles northeast of Corsicana in northeastern Navarro County, was established in the late 1890s and named for a local resident. A post office operated from 1896 until 1904. Montfort was never very large, and in the mid-1930s it had only a couple of stores, a school, and few houses; the population in 1936 was fifteen. After World War II the stores closed, and the school was consolidated with Roane school. By the mid-1960s only a few scattered houses remained.

Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Montfort, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/montfort-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
March 1, 1995

Loading