G. Bedell Moore, businessman, son of Richard Channing and Julia (Grant) Moore, was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey, on October 20, 1840, and attended Dickinson Seminary. He and Henry Jacob Lutcher were partners in a successful but diminishing lumber business in northeast Pennsylvania. In 1877 the two visited Texas to inspect the vast yellow-pine forests. Sensing great opportunity, they soon set up the first large sawmill in Texas and a widespread lumbering operation centered in Orange. Moore later sold his interests to Lutcher and moved on to San Antonio to invest in real estate and ranchland. On April 12, 1905, he married Elizabeth Blasdel; they had one son. In addition to being an organizer of the Lutcher-Moore Lumber Company, Moore was also part owner of the West Texas Bank and Trust Company of San Antonio, president and treasurer of the Hilgard Lumber Company in Polk County, president of the Laredo and Electric Railroad Company, and organizer of the Val Verde Irrigation Company and the San Felipe Irrigation and Manufacturing Company. The Moore Building and the Bedell Building in San Antonio were named for him. He was involved in many civic and charitable activities both in Orange and San Antonio. Moore died at Santa Barbara, California, on October 14, 1908. He was buried in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. See also LUMBER INDUSTRY.