Hugh Leslie Moore, physician, was born on July 6, 1874, near Tomkinsville, Kentucky, the son of Dr. Samuel William and Sally (Bedford) Moore. He received his bachelor's degree in 1894 from Columbia College in Van Alstyne, Texas, and then attended the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. In 1897 he received his medical degree from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York. He interned at Bellevue Hospital and did postgraduate work in London and Boston before joining his brother, Stephen Douglas Moore, in private practice in Van Alstyne. On February 20, 1900, he married Lydia Bowen; they had three children. In 1908 Moore moved to Dallas, where he became the first doctor in Texas to specialize in diseases of children. In addition to his private practice as a partner in the Moore-Knickerbocker Children's Clinic, he served as professor of pediatrics at both Baylor College of Medicine (1908–43) and Southwestern Medical School (1943–50). In addition he served as chief of staff of Bradford Memorial Hospital for Babies, chief of the pediatrics department at Baylor Hospital, and local surgeon for the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. Moore belonged to the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Texas State Medical Association. He was president of the Dallas County Medical Society in 1912 and of the North Texas Medical Association in 1918–19. He was elected a fellow of the American College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1924. He was a Democrat and a member of the Christian Church. Moore died on January 20, 1950, in Dallas.