Moore's Fort

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: April 1, 1995


Moore's Fort, near La Grange in Fayette County, was a twin blockhouse built in 1828 by John Henry Moore as a place of defense against Indians. The Texas Centennial Commission placed a marker at the site in 1936. The American Legion of La Grange occupied the site in 1994.

La Grange High School, Fayette County: Past and Present (La Grange, Texas, 1976). Harold Schoen, comp., Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence (Austin: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Moore's Fort,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/moores-fort.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
April 1, 1995

Loading