Moreland, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: March 1, 1995


Moreland, eight miles southeast of Dawson in south central Navarro County, was established in the 1880s and named for W. A. Moreland, who served for many years as the community's postmaster. A post office opened in 1889. By the mid-1890s the community had a general store, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, and a Methodist church; the estimated population in 1896 was twenty. The town, however, began to decline just after 1900. The post office closed in 1903, and within ten years Moreland no longer appeared on maps.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Moreland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/moreland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

March 1, 1995

Loading