Moro, TX


By: Eugene Perry

Type: General Entry

Published: April 1, 1995


Moro was probably located on Bluff Creek two miles north of Farm Road 1086 and twenty-eight miles southwest of Abilene in southwestern Taylor County. In 1880 the community was granted a post office named Mount Moro for the mountain ten miles southeast. The Jackson school was built in the community in 1887. The post office was closed in 1889 and reopened in 1894 as Moro. By 1896 Moro had an estimated forty inhabitants, a Baptist church, a grocery store, and two blacksmith shops. The Jackson school had eighty pupils and one teacher in 1902. In 1914 the community included two horse and mule breeders, one cattle dealer, and a livestock dealer. A new school was built in 1917. The post office was discontinued in 1922, and by 1940 the school and the store had closed. During the 1980s the community consisted of a Baptist church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered farms.

Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Eugene Perry, “Moro, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/moro-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

April 1, 1995

Place
Moro
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Taylor County
Associated Names

Mount-

Oil Spring

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.13859900°
  • Longitude: -99.97524300°